Writing prompts seem to be a big thing right now. I find them everywhere. Not saying they weren’t before, but they seem to be gaining momentum. I’ve only used them a few times, but I do enjoy having lists of them in places for when I’m not in the mood to work on my books.
I’m going to be writing up a list of 20 prompts every month for everyone here, in the hopes that maybe someone will find them useful. They’ll all be random ideas, no themes or anything. Here is the list for this month.
April 2015 Writing Prompts
- You are camping in a remote area of the north. As you settle in for the night, there’s a loud crash nearby and lights everywhere.
- You wake up one morning to the sound of someone talking to you, only to realize it’s your dog.
- Walking through the forest, you find a small cave. Upon entering it, you find yourself surrounded by small creatures, but you can’t find your way back out.
- Write a short story from the perspective of your best friend.
- There were only two left…
- You have suddenly forgotten your entire family and your past, and it has been replaced with something unfamiliar, but pieces of your own memories keep peeking through in dreams.
- You are preparing yourself to apologize to someone for the horrible crime you committed against them.
- “It’s coming for you next. It always finds it’s victims.”
- They sent me because I was the youngest.
- Write a short story in which your antagonist is the good guy.
- Write a short story in which your protagonist must his his/her best friend. Why must they do it?
- Write a short description of the most evil character you can create.
- Write a short description of the most good character you can create.
- “You were never the one. So why are you now?”
- You live on a planet with two moons, but one day the smaller one stops orbiting.
- You meet your soul mate, but he/she is not human. What are they, and how do you react?
- Write a short story in which the colour blue plays a key role.
- Someone you thought was long dead shows up on your doorstep asking to use your phone in the middle of a thunderstorm.
- You’re in your mid twenties and life has been normal so far. You wake up one day with a migraine beyond anything you’ve had before, and when you look in the mirror, your eyes have changed colour overnight.
- Write a scene that involves a love letter.
If you end up using any of these prompts to write short stories on your blog, feel free to post links in the comments. I’d love to see what people come up with!